This Vella Appam is one of the most favorite dishes of my daughters and of course, the Lord Krishna !!! 🙂
The delicious Vella Appam
And making this dish for the Janmashtami gives me immense satisfaction !!
Here is the easy recipe to make this yummy dish 🙂
Wheat flour (Atta) – 2 cups
Rice flour – 1/2 cup
Jaggery (crushed) – 2 cups in heap
Cardamom – 8 to 9 pods peeled and crushed to a fine powder
Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
1. Boil about 2.5 cups of water. Add the crushed jaggery to it. Let the jaggery melt.
Jaggery melted in water !!!
2. Take both the flours in a vessel, mix well.
3. Add the crushed cardamom to it.
Crushed cardamom !!!
4. Use 1 cup of coconut if you like the taste or you can totally avoid coconut from this dish.
5. Mix well.
6. Now, pour in the filtered jaggery mixture in the flour and keep mixing well, so that no lumps are formed.
Mix the jaggery water with the flour
7. After it is mixed well, leave this mixture to rest for a minimum of one hour.
The batter 🙂
8. Now, that the mixture is rested well, we can start making the appams. You can use either an Appakarai or your regular deep pan for frying !!!
The Appakarai !!!
9. Pour in a mixture of ghee and oil for that wonderful fragrance later !!!
10. Always remember to fry on medium heat.
11. When the oil is heated, start by scooping a tablespoon of batter in each indentation. If you are using a deep pan, only one can be done at a time.
12. Turn it around when one side is done.
Vella appams being fried 🙂
13. Do them in batches till the batter is done with.
14. The deliciously yummy vella appams are ready to be eaten 🙂
The appams are ready !!!
Hope you all liked this recipe so much that you try them out immediately at home. Do let me know with pics, how you made it in your kitchen 🙂