These are the times when you get all the vegetables throughout the year. There’s no seasonal vegetables anymore…cauliflowers, peas – the winter vegetables, are available even now, in hot summer.
But actually the hot summer is the time for gourds – the ridge, bottle, snake and the water filled pumpkin. These are the coolants which our body needs in this hot summer.
So, here is a chatpatta Bottle gourd and potatao subzi to go with chapatis / rotis.
Bottlegourd – 1 medium size, cubed into 1″ pieces, after peeling
Potato – 1 big, cubed into 1″ pieces, after peeling
Onion – 1 big, chopped finely
Tomato – 2 medium, chopped finely
Garlic – 3 or 4 cloves, chopped finely
1. Take a heavy bottomed pan, preferably a cooker. Pour in 1 tbsp of oil and heat it. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp jeera. Let it splutter. Add 1 pinch of Asafoetida and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
2. Add the chopped garlic and onions and fry till translucent. Add in the chopped tomatoes and fry well for 2 to 3 mins. Now, add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix well.
3. Now add in the cubed bottle gourd and potato pieces. Add in salt accordingly and mix well.
4. There’s no need to add water. Just cover the cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
5. Amazingly simple, yet yummy subzi is ready to be served.